Lesson Title: Quicksand for Little Hands
Grade Level: Kindergarten
TEKS: Science (5) Matter and energy. The student knows that objects have properties and patterns. The student is expected to: (A) observe and record properties of objects, including relative size and mass, such as bigger or smaller and heavier or lighter, shape, color, and texture
Objectives: Students will observe and record the properties of a model of quicksand
1. The book "The Quicksand" by Tommie DePaola
2. Wonderopolis: Wonder 1191: Quicksand
5. Animal Figures
6. Measuring Cup
7. Clear Bowl
8. Youtube Video
1. Students will watch the first 2 min and 33 seconds of the Youtube Video "How to Escape Quicksand."
2. The librarian will read the book "The Quicksand Book" by Tommie DePaola
3. Students will turn and tell their neighbor how to escape quicksand. Students will learn these steps in the book and video.
4. Students will watch the video clip on Wonderopolis on how make a model of quicksand.
5. Explain to the students the difference between a model and real quicksand.
6. Divide students into groups and give groups the materials to make a model of quicksand.
7. Have groups talk about observe and record properties of the water and quicksand model comparing its size and mass, observing the difference in weight, shape, color, and texture.
8. Students will be given an animal figure and they will try of rescue it from the quicksand model.
9. Closing discussion: Students will learn about the 552 section where they can find more books on Geology.